20 September 2023
Environment & Innovation: Innovation for Sustainable Development Theme: Energy
Tuesday 3rd of October 2023, from 19:00 to 21:00.
Free to Join – Registration required
As part of the SciFY Academy initiative, SciFY invites you to the 1st event in the “Environment & Innovation” series on the theme of “Energy” on Tuesday, October 3rd, at 19:00, which will take place at Innovathens (Piraeus 100 Gazi, 11854 Athens). The event is mainly aimed at professionals, researchers, and students in the fields of IT, environment, and new technologies.
SciFY, through this series of events (October 2023 – December 2023), aspires to create a discussion platform bringing together representatives of Information Technology and the Environment. The goal is to inform and inspire young people in these fields to discover new opportunities for a more sustainable future.
Specifically, the participants will have the opportunity to be informed about:
- Ηow innovation can bring positive results
- What’s the role of technology, and what are its limits
- What’s the role of man and societies
In this first event on Energy, participants will have the opportunity to learn about new technologies, practical tools, and ways to achieve sustainability at the level of state, industry, and the individual.
A few words about the speakers:
Initially, Prof. Phoebe Koundouri , Professor at the Athens University of Economics & the Technical University of Denmark, President of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE), President of the UN SDSN Global Climate Hub, Co-President of SDSN Europe, in her speech will:
- Introduce the Global Climate Hub of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions network.
- Inform us about networking actions aimed at combating the climate crisis and preventing further deterioration through science.
- Talk about how interdisciplinary teams are using data, knowledge, and technologies to develop state action plans related to sustainability.
- Explain the specific steps a country must take to plan and implement climate neutrality and climate resilience.
- Present technology and innovation accelerators as well as practical examples of the above actions.
Then, Dr. aria Angeliki Chatzigiannakou, Postdoctoral Researcher at the Athens University of Economics and Business, Research Laboratory in Socio-Economic and Environmental Sustainability (ReSEES), will touch upon:
- Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs) which provide policy information on global environmental change and sustainable development issues.
- The possibilities and the role of specific models for shaping sustainable pathways for the Global Climate Hub.
Finally, Dr. Stelios Karozis , Collaborating Researcher, NCSR Demokritos – Environmental Research Laboratory, will talk about:
- The use of computing tools (e.g. Artificial Intelligence) for the production and processing of environmental variables to improve processes regarding energy and the environment in general.
- The combination of methodologies, models, and techniques with the aim of integrated decision support tools in environmental issues.
Finally, Dr. George Loukos, Research & Innovation Director DG for Strategy and Transformation at Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator SA (HEDNO) , will present:
- The challenges faced by electricity distribution networks in adapting to the energy transition and achieving net-zero.
- The innovation areas of HEDNO
- The Innovation Hub of HEDNO and its indicative actions.
- The Corporate Sandbox initiative for accelerating innovation.
- conic European research and innovation projects in which HEDNO is involved.
SciFY Academy is a series of educational activities open to all interested parties by the non-profit organization Science For You – SciFY for the free dissemination of knowledge. There are more than 10,000 beneficiaries already, and the actions are ongoing.
Free Registration: http://go.scify.gr/sfacIN43Tickets
Event Press Release: http://go.scify.gr/sfacIN43PR